From:
Timia R Conjurske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 17:50:52 EDT

Hi all,

I have a friend who I've suspected had CD for a long time.  He is an
insulin dependent diabetic, his mother has lupus, and he has all kinds of
intestinal problems, joint pain, tingling in hands, itching, pain in
right side,---well, you name it.  Don't think he's had anything yet that
can't be traced to CD or diabetes.  Anyway, he has done Dr. Fine's stool
test for gluten sensitivity, and it's come back positive (below 10 is
normal, he was at 15), and they are now doing the malabsorbtion test.  My
understanding is that this test shows up both celiac and gluten allergy.
Do any of you know if this is correct?  It wouldn't be positive because
of anything else would it?  I'm afraid he may have a bit of a time
staying COMPLETELY gluten free, though I think he certainly should.  Can
it be pretty safely assumed that he is celiac or is it just as likely
that he is allergic to gluten?  (I guess with the latter I wouldn't think
it quite as serious to slip up a bit once in a while).

Thanks so much,
Timia