From:
"Mark S. & Elizabeth R. Crone" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:18:44 -0400

First of all, I want to thank everyone who e-mailed with help.  Your

I got mixed responses overall.  The Don Pablos I went to is located in
Lafayette, Indiana.  I had the Three Amigos meal which they specially
prepared in water by my request along with their refrito beans and a
margarita with no problems.  I forgot to ask about the chips, so I
avoided them just to be safe (it was really hard b/c the salsa smelled
so good).  They were very helpful and the food was excellent.  It is so
nice to be able to eat something along with the rest of the world!  Here
are some of the responses I received:

From Bob & Ruth Levy
410-602-0075

* * * * *

"Since our goal of a "Gluten-free Friendly Menu" with a couple of the
restaurants  has been delayed due to change of personnel, we thought we
would share with you our current information of what's OK and what's not
at "Don Pablo's - The Real Enchilada".  The following information was
confirmed with their home office on February 15, 1999.  As always please
exercise your own discretion and when in doubt "DON'T".

For you Mexican food lovers there's a lot on the menu that is
Gluten-free as is or can easily modified to be so.  I strongly advise
you to ask for the General Manager to assist you with "Special Dietary
Needs".  If not available ask for the next in charge.  The wait staff
will probably be willing but NOT knowledgeable enough to assist.

ALL sauces are thickened with corn starch and all cheeses and cheese
sauces are GF.  Any non-fried dish shown as prepared with Flour
tortillas can be prepared with Corn tortillas.  But for ALL CORN
TORTILLA dishes you must instruct them to soften the corn tortillas in
fresh boiling water, not in the deep fryer oil as normally done.   Salsa
is safe as are all the salad dressings and sour cream.  Dig into the GF
tamales and refried beans or enjoy the soups (except for the tortilla
strips on top of the Classico Tortilla Soup).  GF desert will be Ice
Cream and all the chocolate or strawberry toppings.

ITEMS NOT GLUTEN-FREE - Nachos and ALL other FRIED items (many indicated
as "crispy") are prepared in contaminated oil - bring your own GF nachos
and enjoy the cheese sauce and salsa (get separate bowls).  Mexican Rice
- is first immersed in old frying oil and then steamed. Marinade used on
meats has soy sauce in it."

From Lisa Brown

   "Don't eat the rice or anything marinated. The tacos and nachos
should be fine."

From Janet in Tampa--

   "I have gone there -- if you have a restaurant card -- take it and
send it to the chef -- they will direct you.

I believe the chips are okay but not most of the sauces and marinades.
When I ate there I did not get sick, but the menu was extremely limited.

Good luck"

From Linda at Long Island--

"Mark, I just got my Celiac digest this minute.  How did your trip to Don
Pablo's work out?  I ate at one in Arlington, VA.  The manager came out and
brought me the packages the food comes in so I could read labels.  She was
wonderful.  It turned out though, that the only thing I was comfortable with
was a salad.  I had a good experience because of the manager's efforts, but I
don't think I'll return.  When I saw your posting, I was curious."  Linda on
Long Island, NY

    Thanks again everyone!  Don Pablos definitely gained a new customer
last night.

                    Mark S. Crone