From:
Lauren Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 16:49:46 +0000

In a recent post Donald Kasarda offered, in part:
************************************
I think that although it isn't possible to find a clear statement to the
effect that there is a minimum level of gluten ingestion that will not cause
damage, I will put forward for the sake of argument that such a level has
been established by the studies of Holmes et al. (Malignancy in coeliac
disease--effect of a gluten-free diet, Gut 30:333-338, 1989).
************************************
And an answer from Kemp Randolph stated, in part:
************************************
 As a scientist, I agree with Don that each of us can tolerate some low
level of gluten. As a scientist, however, I may mean something different by
that than a non-scientist might.  What I mean:  we'd know just exactly what
the extra (low, very low, very very low..depending on our choice) risk of
getting cancer for a corresponding amount of gluten was.
Now I, for one member of the list, am very appreciative of this
recent discussion with both a scientific (objective) and a practical
(subjective) aspect.  This is information that is *VERY* useful to me
in making personal decisions as to how I should tailor my diet.
Please keep it up and thanks to Donald Kasarda and Kemp Randolph.
Let's have more from these and other, well read, participants along
this  line!!!

Lauren Walton, Rocklin, California