From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:53:35 EST

Ron Hoggan suggested delaying a gluten challenge in children until they
are at least six years old, so as not to adversely affect early growth
and development.  I am inclined to agree with this reasoning for
young children with close celiac relatives or who have exhibited
symptoms associated with celiac disease.

Gayle Kennedy then wrote:

> I would like to also suggest that the same consideration might apply
> to adults....If a gluten free diet removes the symptoms and ingestion
> of a little bit of gluten makes one sick, is that not enough empirical
> evidence?

I think a post last fall by Nancy Lilly addresses this issue very well.
Here are some excerpts from it:

Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:13:33 -0700
From:         Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]>

It interested me that I had quite a few responses questioning why I want
the diagnosis, since the GF diet has sort of proven it by default....
Since more than one or two people asked, I thought I'd reply to the
list.

1.  I have a wonderful adult son, & will probably have grandchildren one
of these days.  If I am a definite, diagnosed celiac, I can convince my
son to get tested, plus it will be a known genetic factor to take into
consideration medically for my family.

2.  And, speaking of family, I am hoping to trace (&think I may know)
what the line of inheritance is.

3.  I don't like doctors looking at me when I say I have Celiac Disease
with that "humor her - it can't hurt, anyway" kind of attitude.

4.  I was lucky the last time I was hospitalized for an illness - there
was a doctor on the staff who had CD and could front with the kitchen
for me - otherwise, I would have had a hard time getting decent food.  I
may not be so lucky next time, so I want a diagnosis on my medical
record.  (I know the diagnosis doesn't mean people will know more, but
it means that they might give what I have to say more credence.)

5.  There are investigations, tests, experiments, etc.  going on through
USC re/Celiac, and I would like to be available to volunteer, but they
only use diagnosed subjects.

6.  My mother had Alzheimers, and I live in fear of being helpless &
confused, and being fed food that will make me even more miserable.
Again, I feel that the "credibility factor" of having a diagnosis that
medical personnel will respect is important in so many potentially
difficult situations.

7.  Even though I think I'm gluten free, a lab test cannot prove that
unless we have a test that is positive for antibodies to use as a
standard.

8.  If I don't have CD, I have SOMETHING that creates the same extensive
symptomology, and I'd like to know what the heck it is.

In some countries there can also be tax or social service benefits
available to those who can prove (usually with a doctor's statement)
that they are celiacs.  This is yet another reason why it can be worth-
while getting a confirmed diagnosis.

For adults and older children, I think these points make a strong case
for getting a medically-proven diagnosis.  As we can see, this is very
difficult for those who have already adopted the GF diet, because it
involves a prolonged gluten challenge.  Hopefully this will at least
encourage anyone who is contemplating "trying" the GF diet on their own
to instead pursue getting a medically-proven diagnosis.  In the long run
I really think it is worth it.

Just another layperson's opinion...

--
-- Jim Lyles ................... Home: [log in to unmask]
-- Holly, Michigan, USA ........ Work: [log in to unmask]