From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:40:56 -0400

>I'm going to see a show on Broadway this weekend and was wondering
>if anyone could suggest a good (moderately priced, if there is
>such a thing in NYC) restaurant near the theatre district
>that serves gf items on the menu.  I would appreciate any
>suggestions....

Heather,

Depends on whether you're open to Indian food. NYC has many of them. As I
have noted before, you have to inquire about tomato paste (it should not be
used at all), check how the homemade cheese is made (it should be lime juice
but is frequently vinegar because it is cheaper), and check which of the
appetizers share the frying oil. If a southern Indian restaurant (i.e.
Madras in the name or vegetarian) then even the samosas will be chick pea
flour and all appetizers should be safe from wheat contamination.

Since bread is made around the tandoor oven you may wish to avoid meats that
are cooked there, as wheat could be on the hands of the person cooking at
it. Also they may marinade the tandoor meats in vinegar, though again it
should be lime juice.

Indian/Pakistani food in NYC can range from $5.00 (tax included) at a steam
table restaurant up to the expensive range. One on the expensive side, but
well liked by the NY Times restaurant reviewer, is Shaan Of India at 57 W
48, 212-397-6307. It has more regional fare than your run-of-the-mill Indian
restaurant.

The theater district is not the area for inexpensive food.

Don <[log in to unmask]> New York City