From:
Juanita Heidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 14:09:30 -0400

Hi,
This is my first posting and I am wondering of any on you in Alberta Canada
have come across this.  I have learned that I can get funding for my 7 yr
old celiac from handicapped childrens services.  I have met with the social
worker in March and she had a list of requirements I needed.  I got
everything but the only thing I needed was a letter from a dietician
stating how much extra it costs to feed her.  The social worker thought
from looking at my receipts and a Kinnickinick price list that it was $100 -
$150 per month but needed a letter from a dietician.  I met with the
dietician in our town yesturday (we live in Lac La Biche, AB) and she says
it only costs and extra $35/month to feed her.  I am wondering if any of
you out there have been in this circumstance, do get funding, how much you
may get, or have figured out how much it costs.  The dietician basically
told be that she doesn't NEED cake, cookies, hot dog buns, noodles, hot
dogs, etc.  She felt that if she can eat roast beef and rice then that's
healthy and that is what she should eat.  I disagree as being 7 at a
birthday party eating rice just doesn't cut it.  She is newly diagnosed
also so I try to make her feel like everyone else, which I think is
important for children and that is what I think social services feels
also.  The social worker on the other hand has to listen to the dietician
also.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Juanita Heidt
Lac La Biche, Alberta Canada