From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 06:14:28 -0500

Anne,

I don't know anything about any formal research connecting CD and
Alzheimer's, but I have found that my father with Alzheimer's has responded
very well to the g/f diet, as well as to the casein-free diet, and
low-phenol diet combined with the use of daily epsom salts soaks, and
treatment of candida.  These were all things that have been associated with
the opiate excess theory and problems with sulfation such as is found in
autism.  I tried this because my daughter had developmental delays which
gradually went away on this protocol, and I had some neurological problems
clear up.  My father's worsened situation on Zantac was what led me to try
the g/f c/f diet with epsom salts, and it moved him back into manageable
moderate dementia from something that was getting severe.

Ingestion of either of those foods will give him violent diarrhea and make
him incontinent and very, very confused including problems with language.
Omitting the epsom salts will turn him into a miserable, extremely sensory
defensive, uncooperative, suicidal mess with a loss of ability to construct
sentences properly.  Application of a solution of epsom salts will change
his behavior and general outlook on life within an hour or so.  It is just
like a miracle!

Let me know if anyone answers you with something more official about this
connection.  And, by the way, I had my father tested for celiac by the blood
test, but it came back negative.

Susan Owens

>Is there believed to be a link between CD and Alzheimer's Disease?
                            (Walter & Susan Owens)
                            Dallas, Texas  USA