From:
Tom George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:24:40 EDT

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your email regarding the presence of Orangutan O's in our
Amazon Flakes cereal.  On behalf of Nature's Path Foods, I would like to
extend our genuine apologies for this unfortunate incident, and any dismay
or inconvenience this may have caused.

As per our discussion, I will be sending information to several gluten
intolerant groups, with the hopes that it is posted on the appropriate
listservs.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,
Mary Stift, B. Sc.
Consumer Services Coordinator
Nature's Path Foods, Inc.

****************************

DATE:  April 9, 2001

MEMO:  RE:  Nature's Path manufacturing practices with regard to gluten

TO:  All consumers, especially those with gluten sensitivities

Nature's Path Foods is North America's leading producer of organic cereals
offering an extensive line of products, some of which are gluten free.  We
do not specifically manufacture specialty foods necessary to meet strict
allergy free guidelines, however, we do have products that can be acceptable
depending on each individual's requirements.  We keep abreast of nutritional
research, and believe that the information on celiac disease is continually
ongoing, with certain aspects being inconclusive as new information
continues to develop with regard to absolute dietary guidelines.  Our stance
on this issue is as follows.

The most definitive information clearly demonstrates that proteins from
wheat, rye and barley are unacceptable for individuals on a gluten free
diet.  Additionally, Kamut and spelt have proteins that are so similar to
the gluten and gliadin proteins found in wheat, it is recommended that these
grains also be avoided.

Nature's Path Foods, Inc. is aware of the food sensitivities that some
individuals have specifically with regard to gluten.  We therefore take
precautions to prevent any cross contamination in our gluten free products.
We remain confident in the integrity and quality of our GMP (good
manufacturing practices) and cleaning procedures that we use to thoroughly
clean the production equipment between product runs.  However, it is
essentially impossible to guarantee that there is no possibility of
contamination or human error.

In addition to strict manufacturing guidelines, the equipment is
periodically inspected and tested for gluten contamination.  Cereal samples
are also sent out to independent labs to assure there is no presence of
gluten.

Even though we consider the following products gluten free, we caution that
highly sensitive individuals, along with their health care providers, may
need to determine if these products are suitable for their particular
dietary requirements.

*    Mesa Sunrise(tm) Indian corn, flax, and amaranth multigrainflakes
(sweetened with unrefined cane juice)

*    Corn Flakes (sweetened with unrefined cane juice)

*    Honey'd(tm) Corn Flakes (sweetened with honey)

*    Amazon Frosted Flakes(tm) (corn flakes sweetened w/ honey and cane juice

*    Gorilla Munch(tm) (crunchy corn pops sweetened w/ unrefined cane
juice)

Our sister company, Lifestream(r), offers 2 varieties of highly nutritious and
delightfully delicious toaster waffles that are gluten free:  Buckwheat
Wildberry & Mesa Sunrise(tm).

Additionally, Nature's Path also offers several varieties of puffed grains
including  Puffed Rice, Puffed Millet, and Puffed Corn.  However,these
products are made in a separate facility that will often run several
different grains simultaneously, including Puffed Wheat and Puffed Kamut,
which are not gluten free.  Consequently, depending on each individual's
sensitivity to gluten, the puffed grain cereals may or may not be
appropriate for a strict gluten-free diet.

We always welcome consumer inquires and comments, and we make every effort
to address individual concerns.  While we realize that we may not be able to
meet specific needs of every consumer, we make every effort to achieve and
maintain customer satisfaction.

For further information, please feel free to contact our Consumer Services
Coordinator, Mary Stift, B.Sc. at 360-332-1111; [log in to unmask]