From:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:53:46 -1000

*Betaine Hydrochloride resolved my low stomach acid problem.    I took
two a day for a while and then went to one.   It was a very big
imporvement.   Your  digestive system just works better with the right
amount of acid.

*I have CD and have counseled many others.  It sounds like you are
having an allergic reaction to something other than gluten since the
tests are negative.  Lactose and soy are big culprits and can cause a
lot of the problems you are experiencing.

Doctor's tend to test for a B12 deficiency which shows some type of
malabsorption - which seems to be what you are experiencing.  Symptoms
of low B12 are anemia, smooth tongue, fatigue, degeneration of
peripheral nerves, and hypersensitivity of the skin.  B12 maintains the
sheath that surrounds and protects nerve fibers and helps to promote
healthy growth (I'm glad the doctors checked this for you!).  Food
sources for B12 are found exclusively in animal products, such as meat,
fish, poultry, shellfish, milk, cheese, and eggs.

As for low stomach acid, you can get supplements for hydrochloric acid
to aid in digestion from your nearest health food store.  Usually low
stomach acid doesn't result in vomiting, although it puts a strain of
the intestines to break down food more than normal.

What would I do?  Get the HCl supplements and try them along with
getting the B12 shots and see how you do.  Eliminate one food at a time
which you think may be the allergen - such as soy, etc.

*Have you been tested yet for diabetes or thyroid?
I'm not sure of how old you are but seeing as you've only been gluten
free
for two years your body may still be adjusting.I am in my mid 40s and
have been gluten free for nearly 4 1/2 years.  The first 3 years in
particular were filled with ups and downs in the health dept with
similar symptoms as yours.  They have all gone away for the most
part but I am diligent about taking my vitamins, (a super one a day plus
Bcomplex 100)  I was reminded of the need for extra B by the docs after
bout of Bell's palsy over a year ago.

* If this is a sudden change i would suspect it could be something toxic

in your surroundings.
you even mentioned the words "toxic". Was your house recently
rennovated? gas leak?
i suffer from many of those symptoms - i have MCS (multiple chemical
sensitivities)
from years of toxic exposures. it could even be a mercury filling you
just got.  i only say this because
it came on so sudden. otherwise it would likely be bacterial or viral.