From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 17:42:31 EST

Portia wrote....

> Although I'm not sure if they make a children's chewable vitamin,
> Twinlabs claims that ALL their products are absolutely gluten free.

The letter which I have from Twinlabs hedges more than I would like.  It says
that "We would like to assure you that Twinlab products do not contain gluten
or gliadin as binders, protein coatings or excipient ingredients"

I wrote them about 3 weeks ago, saying that their letter did not say flat out
that their vitamins are completely gluten free, only that there is no gluten in
the binders, protein coatings or excipient ingredients.  I asked if there was
gluten in the active vitamin ingredients, and gave examples like B vitamins
grown via bread molds.  I also suggested that they need to check their vendors
to be sure no purchased ingredients have gluten.  I gave examples like using
wheat flour to dust the conveyor belts, gluten in alcohol, etc. ----many thanks
to Mike Jones and Elaine Monarch for teaching me about these things --

TwinLab replied that they would have to do research in order to answer my
letter, and would get back to me, and they still haven't.  My experience with
Rice Dream, where only rice and water are listed as ingredients, but they use
barley enzymes on the rice (described by Lisa Lewis and myself in posts several
weeks ago) has made me skeptical of other manufacturers until they are
carefully questioned.

Portia, if you have a more definitive letter from Twinlabs, that would be
great. Could you post it?

(It sure seems unfair that the celiacs of the world have to do so much work to
stay gluten free!)

Bill