From:
"Catherine A. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 10:54:17 -0500

I have been reading this newsgroup for about one month, for my husband's
sake who has been anemic for some time now and has had symptoms that were
indicative of celiac disease. I was so pleased to have read the information
files and the FAQ for this group, because this seemed to be the answer to
our question about what was wrong with my husband. The more we read, the
more we were convinced that my husband had celiac disease.  Everything
pointed to it, and we began to think about what it would mean to go gluten
free.

In the mean time, my husband had scheduled doctors' appointments for blood
tests and intestinal biopsies.   Yesterday we learned that the test results
came back negative.

We have mixed feelings about this -- relieved that we will not have to
significantly change our lives with a gluten-free diet, but perplexed about
what is wrong with him.  The next step is to see a hematologist to
ascertain the cause for the anemia.

I am posting this to the group because I have heard many of you say that
you have celiac disease, but that you have never been diagnosed.
Furthermore, many of you say that you have no intention of getting a
biopsy, with the argument that a gluten-free diet has resulted in
improvement, and that is sufficient evidence for you.  My question is:
Could a gluten-free diet be helpful to relieve digestive problems, even
without having celiac disease?  Any thoughts/experiences on this would be
helpful.

| Catherine A. Peters        | Office: Engineering Quad, C-319  |
| Assistant Professor        | Phone (609)258-5645              |
| Dept of Civil Engineering  | Fax   (609)258-2799              |
|   and Operations Research  | email: [log in to unmask]    |
| Princeton University       | http://www.princeton.edu:80/~cap/|
| Princeton, NJ 08544-5263   |                                  |