From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:20:54 -0800

Here's an interesting & short article about the importance of good fats
in preventing & treating various health disorders including reactive
allergic & immune reactions (which would apply to us celiacs).  The whole
article is very interesting & gives a lot of useful information including
affordable sources of quality fats.
http://www.krispin.com/omega3.htm#AntiOx   This article also talks about
the value of vitamin K in treatment & prevention of osteoporosis,
referring to a study finding that adequate vitamin K is more effective at
preventing calcium loss than Fosamax.

About two or three months ago I read a book called NOURISHING TRADITIONS
by Sally Fallon that talked a lot about good fats verses bad fats.
Prompted by what I read, I discarded all refined vegetable oils such as
margarine, Crisco, canola, soybean oil, etc. and switched to palm oil
shortening & extra virgin olive oil.  I also began taking inexpensive
fish oil supplements from Walmart.  Since then, my digestion has improved
and my previously dry & scaley skin has become moister & has better tone.
 I had no idea how important good fats are and what a difference it would
make in so short a time.

I buy palm oil shortening at Trader Joe's.  It's called Spectrum Organic
Shortening -- no trans fatty acids.  It's available at many health food
stores.  I love it for stir frying, baking & adding just a little to a
fruit smoothy.  It has a very neutral flavor that easily blends with any
flavor w/o overpowering it (as olive oil can).  I use olive oil for
salads & to season vegetables.  (I'd use butter if I weren't so darn
allergic to it.)

If anyone else has experience or information to share on this topic, I'd
love to hear from you.  I'll summarize if I see an interest.  ~ Valerie
in Tacoma

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com