From:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:39:54 -0500

Hello listmates,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in changing life insurance policies after being diagnosed and if having CD raised your premiums. My husband and I are considering changing our individual term insurance policies because the cost of buying life insurance has dropped since we purchased them. Our goal is to try to lower the premiums, not raise them and I'm hesitant because of my recent CD diagnosis. It's only been 5 years since we took out our policies and back then I was rated in one of the lowest risk categories based on results of my blood test.

The new policy we are looking into also requires a blood test. My husband thinks that since labs and doctors have a difficult time diagnosing CD that it's highly unlikely an insurance company will pick it up on their testing. I'm also concerned about there being some type of health questionnaire to fill out too. I was asymptomatic before being diagnosedso I can honestly answer no if asked about GI symptoms but I if asked if I have any diseases, then I would have to reveal the information.  Both of my siblings have CD so I participated in family screening (came back postive) and I had a biopsy so I'm a diagnosed celiac.

My gut feel (no pun intended) is to leave well enough alone and stay with my existing policy. Do life insurance companies have the right to access to your medical records from your health insurance company or doctor? Do life insurance companies just test for life threatening illnesses? If anyone has knowledge in this area either from personal or professional experience, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you very much.

Joyce
New Jersey