From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:24:47 -0400

By way of education...and to alert you to dairy free, delicious challah....

While I realize the person who posted the challah is excited to find a great recipe, by nature, challah is parve, which means it has no dairy products in it....or it isn't challah. Part of Jewish dietary law is that no dairy and meat products can be eaten together. Traditionally, challah is served with the Sabbath and holiday meals....which (unless you're either vegetarian or you don't follow the tradition) are meat meals.

Bette Hagman's challah recipe (More From the Gluten-Free Gourmet) is out of this world, and it is completely dairy-free. I make it for my Jewish holidays and whenever I want a great tasting bread.

I have not tried to braid this recipe or to make a crown (for the Jewish New Year). I make mine in a bread machine. (That's my break with tradition.) Then I slice up the leftovers and freeze two slices at a time in a baggie. It makes great sandwich bread and fantastic French toast.

Just giving you all an option.

Lin