From:
"Scheim, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:34:00 EST

   I had active celiac as a child until about 8 yrs old which returned in a
milder form in my mid-twenties.  I am very careful now about avoiding the
gluten-containing grains, MSG, HVP, and other known gluten containing
substances, but find that the majority of the time I have mild celiac-like
symptoms -- some bloating, gas, sluggishness.  The times when I don't have
these symptoms the differences are apparent.

   I find I can have strong reactions to foods with vinegar, and try to avoid
those.  Also find I can get similar symptoms eating cheese regularly  - I
know I have some lactose intolerance, but I thought that it's mostly digested
in cheese.

  In any case, I was curious to read that "natural flavorings" that may be
used in diary, such as sodium casienate, may contain glutamate.  Also
recently saw that mono- and di-glycerides may be offenders, and that certain
cheeses may naturally contain glutamates.  I've actually found I've had
strong reactions eating plain vegetables at a salad bar where grated
parmesian cheese was availabe.

  My questions are thus what ingredients of diary may provoke gluten
allergies aside from lactose intolerance, or whether lactose intolerance can
compound gluten intolerance and whether diary should be eliminated as
strictly as gluten or closely limited.  Also, I've always been curious as to
why glutamate is an offender for people with gluten intolerance.  Finally,
can anyone confirm current thinking as to whether folic acid is a recommended
supplement for celiacs?

  Thanks for any clarifications on these points.  -- David Scheim