From:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:48:59 -1000

*Unfortunately, it sounds like it's time for some kind
of elimination diet where you isolate foods to see
what's bothering you.  As your doctor probably knows,
this generally means going on a rice-only diet for a
while to get rid of the symptoms (if you react to
that, you've found your problem).  Then you add foods
back in one by one, starting with the most likely
problem foods: corn, soy, dairy, etc.  It's quite a
hassle, but I'm sure that it'll be worth it, since
you've been so sick!

*Diverticulosis (or diverticulitis) could be the problem.
If there's constipation, maybe you have intestinal blockage which can be
linked to diverticulosis.
Have you tried a liquid diet? If eating jello, puddings, liquid meal
replacements makes you feel better, this can tell that it's something to
do with your gut not functioning properly.

*However when you mentioned you just finished nursing your 14 month old
triggered on what happened to me when I finished nursing my youngest
child,
(my son was around the same age as yours when we weaned)

Have you been tested for your Iron stores?  I was diagnosed with Iron
Defiency Anemia just after my son turned 2.  I was so ill with fatigue,
nausea, vomiting, had joint pain,etc and couldn't lift my arm barely
over my
head by the time I was diagnosed.  I had to go on Iron Therapy for one
year.

I've since been told Iron Defiency Anemia is very common with Celiac
disease.  I had taken prenatal vitamins throughout my pregnancy and
continued while nursing yet the Iron was not staying in my system.

Coincidentally my son was the first Celiac in the family to be diagnosed
(at
age 10 1/2 long ugly story to get a diagnosis!)  After him, my daughter
and
I also tested positive for Celiac and the rest is history.

*My son has several food intolerances and his symptoms were identical to

those he gets from his CD [both gut related & neurological]. I'd
encourage
you to look into this further - either through an elimination diet or
IgG
tests. We went the latter route which proved to be wise, as he tested
high
for rice, which is usually the foundation of an elimination diet [i.e.
we
may not have had good results from the elimination diet as the means of
testing]. I've since challenged him with some of these foods, including
the
rice, and found he still gets sick from them. However, some people do
find
they are eventually able to tolerate them again.From previous
discussions,
it seems corn, casein [all dairy & not just from lactose intolerance],
soy
& other legumes are on the top of most people's lists [my son's
included,
although he has several others in addition to those].

*Hello: I have a celiac friend who swears that celiacs should not eat
soy of
any kind. She says they can't digest it.

*I've been given B12 shots since I was diagnosed several years ago.  It
made me feel much better, and I noticed the improvement immediately
(within a month).  However, for the 1st 6 or so months I could feel my
energy level drop about a week before time for a shot.

*I'm wondering if it might be gallbladder symptoms.  And from things
I've read recently that is almost always connected to eating or being
exposed to things you are allergic to.  It might be worth exploring if
you have other allergies besides being sensitive to gluten...eggs, pork,
dairy, etc. etc.

*I'm probably not 'telling/suggesting' anything to you, you may/may not
have checked on.  You may want to keep a diary of EVERYTHING you
do/ingest in a day. Even in the work environment you are in.  Don't
forget to look at the topical items you put on your skin. There are some
that DO NOT believe gluten can be 'ingested' through the skin,,,,I
disagree,,,,I had some pretty expensive shampoo/conditioner/mousse I had
to get rid of,,,,because the the ingredients in them.

Don't know if you are married/or have a boyfriend,,,,and this may be
'reaching',,,but I will let you think about how you might ingest gluten
that way,,,,I know,,you probably would 'share' gluten containing
food,,,,

Also, I have heard that there are some products that use flour/wheat in
them,,,,ie,,,,tea bags,,,?? I don't know.  Also,,,cross contamination in
food being produced on 'not completely' clean lines,,,

*I have baffling fluctuations in symptoms as well, after many years. It
seems our disease is as progressive as diabetes and all the others, but
that no one has written the road map yet?

I turned to homeopathy b/c it was the only place I found consistent,
useful help. Most conventional drugs make me sick. Sometimes I think
it's the time of year, the molds, ragweed, grasses, etc. Sometimes I
just don't think about it. I wish you luck, and I'm hopeful that some
discoveries will be made to help us. Peace, Marla

PS -- Don't forget to keep drinking fluids when you're losing weight.
Make sure your rice milk doesn't have barley or something strange like
that. (Rice Dream) I made that mistake for a few years.

*I too was GF for almost 2 years and then started getting sick again.  I
ended up going on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet
(http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.org/).

After you go GF a lot of the carbs you replace are high in starch and
sugar and this can keep your small intestine from healing - thus you
have more problems.

I also started corresponding with Valerie in Tacoma, WA as she has been
down this path as well and told me about digestive enzymes and that the
Specific Carbohydrate group is quite fanatic.  I've discovered they are
that indeed.  They have a listserv like this one but you can't discuss
anything negative about the SCD or they will kick you off.  I'm glad she
told me this as I am still basically on the diet but I have modified it
a bit.

So I went on the diet faithfully May 1st and continued till about two
months ago.  I then got very sick again and ended up taking antibiotics
for a parasite infection (ghiardia).  Ghiardia is very common in people
with digestive problems because our guts are susceptible.  A healthy gut
can encounter ghiardia in small amounts and fight it off but ours
cannot.  Have they tested you for parasites?  They don't always show up
unfortunately.  That was my case but I had such strong symptoms they
treated me and it worked.  I'm not on probiotics and digestive enzymes
and am doing well.  I've been working with a Naturopathic doctor and she
has been very helpful.

I limit my starches (potatos, rice and corn), eat a lot of veggies,
fruits, chicken, turkey, fish, nuts, cheese and I even make homemade
yogurt.

*Odd that you post this at this time, as I find myself in a similar
place. So, I don't have any answers for you but to say I'm working to
puzzle out my symptoms, too.

I'm gf for 3 years, was doing great until about 4 weeks ago, when
started the celiac symptoms of belching, bloating, faint nausea,
acid-feeling, fatigue, food just not digesting well. These things
happened: I'm fairly certain I got gluten at a restaurant/had a family
reunion at my home and wasn't careful enough about cross-contamination
(we are usually a gf home), took doxycycline antibiotic for almost 4
weeks, was eating over a period of a month Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat
cereal, so had possible cross-contamination.

I'm back to whole foods and have started a food diary today in hopes of
identifying other food intolerances.