Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 11:04:04 -0600

Hi:
On The matter of Buckwheat, Yes it is ok accoring to Canadian Standards,
I say that because I have never shopped in the U.S. for gluten free
products. It is available in Health food stores and some supermarkets.

Buckwheat is a member of the Rhubarb family so it is in fact a fruit.  It
contains 21/2% more protein that rice, is closer to animal protein than
other plants, is high in potassium, phosphorus and rutin, contains 50%
more vitamin B than Wheat and has no more calories than wheat or other
grains.
It makes great pancakes, there is a recipe in the Gluten Free Anytime
cookbook written by Joyce Friesen and Donna Wall.  Also it is used in
muffins and Betty Hagman has a recipe called Kasha Buckwheat Muffins in one
of her books.  I cannot post these recipes as they are copyrighted.
Anyway it is safe so experiment.
Michelle
Edmonton