Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:22:52 -0800

Dear List,

  I received some very nice emails on this entry. I thank each one of you for your kind and constructive thoughts.
  As you all know though - there are still some who think that we should self medicate, and haven't been so kind with their thoughts.  I wasn't referring to mild symptoms - I was referring to ongoing, persistant muscle spasms and cramps.
  I also thought it important that when we are told that it is all in our heads that we should persist in trying to get proper treatment.

  All I know is that I would have died and that there was no way for me to know what I should have taken and in what amounts. I was hypo in Calcium, Potassium, Mag, etc... I think everything was way low except for the Sodium. I was put on 2000 mg of Calcium, 2 tablespoons of 20% liquid Potassium, etc... Now just how would I have known how much to have taken of these things and just where would I have gotten that much potassium to take without a prescription??

  I have appreciated being a member of this group, and I have relied on all of your friendliness, and vast knowledge over the years, but I think that this list has changed.

  I would still urge all of you who are having persistant cramping or muscle spasms and can afford it, or if you have any free or low cost clinics anywhere near by you to get yourselves checked.

  I am unsubscribing to this list. I will find another one where members are like we used to be.

  Take Care,
  Jerri In California

  Dear List,

  Maybe I didn't see every entry on this subject. I would suggest that
before we give ourselves salt, or potassium, etc that we go to our
medical
practitioner and have our electrolytes checked.  Taking these things if
we
are out of balance and not knowing which way we are out of balance
could
make things worse, much worse. It's a simple blood test. If we don't
have
insurance or can't afford it, then I could see where we might think
that we
have to try to do what we can. There are many fruits that are high in
potassium. There is sea salt, or potato chips, etc.

  At one point in my life, I was very deficient in my electrolytes. I
wouldn't have known what to take to make up for it without being
properly
diagnosed.. I wouldn't have taken enough of it to have made up for it
quickly.  I could hardly get out of bed and make my legs work in the
mornings it got so bad. I went to one P.A. and they suggested that it
was
all psychological and that I should see a psychiatrist.. I did that and
she
told me that it wasn't a psychological problem and it sounded like a
medical
problem and I should see someone else just as soon as possible..  The
new
P.A. gave me my choice of being sent home with a lot of pills (calcium,

magnesium, etc.) and a bottle of 20% liquid potassium and see him
everyday
for a week to be monitored (more blood tests, etc), or go straight into
the
hospital.. He knew that I had children at home and was a single mom
without
anyone else to care for my children.  Steven White, P.A., wherever he
is,
saved my life. He took the time
to look up Celiac, and see what the needs of one were.

  This list is a great source of information and help to one another. I

really do appreciate getting to be a member of it. Just please, if a
member
of this list is having symptoms like persistant cramps or spasms,
please try
to go have your electrolytes checked before you are like I was were
Calcium
was being taken out of my bones to supply the bloodstream...... None of
us
want to have that... I was having irregular heartbeats, etc..

  My wish for everyone is to have good health and stay safe.

  Jerri in Ca.