From:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:15:21 +0800

Thanks to everyone who sent recipes after my request for rolled sugar
cookies.  Here is a summary (part 2) of what I received.

Rolled Sugar Cookies from The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg pp.
196-97

This is a wonderful dough to work with. And the cookies are crisp
outside,
tender inside (depending on the thickness you roll them). If you like
making
cookies for special holidays, this is a must-try recipe. Tip when
baking -have ingredients at room temperature. You can get flours warm in
few seconds in microwave and put eggs in warm tap water.

Ingredients

¼ cup shortening (I used Land 'O Lakes real butter)
2/3 cup sugar (I used Domino's)
¼ cup oil (I use Mozella Corn Oil)
2 egg yolks
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla flavoring (I used my homemade vanilla - vanilla
beans
and potato vodka)
¾ cup potato starch
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water (There is no baking powder or baking soda in this
recipe)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, cream together shortening (I
let
the butter sit at room temperature to soften), sugar, and oil. Add egg
yolks
and vanilla flavoring. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well to
remove any lumps.

Lightly "flour" surface (I use wax paper and wet the counter before I
put it
down so it wouldn't move around on me) and rolling pin with cornstarch
(I
use sweet rice flour instead). Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness and
use
cookie cutters to cut the dough into desired shapes.

Place cookies on greased baking sheet. Decorate with colored sugar or
sprinkles as desired (I used Betty Crocker sprinkles). Bake 8-10
minutes.
These cookies will just begin to brown around the bottom. Makes about 3
dozen cookies

Calories 68 Protein 0 g Carbohydrate 10 g
Fat 3 g Fiber 0 g
Cholesterol 12 mg Sodium 31 mg

NOTE: For easier handling, especially on a hot, or humid day, consider
placing this dough in the refrigerator for a few hours. The dough can be
made up a day in advanced. Just let it get room temperature so it will
roll
easier.

Christmas Sugar Cookies

3 c gf flour mix (see below) 2 eggs
1 tsp soda 1 c sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp almond (or flavoring of your
1 c gf margarine                      choice)

Sift flour, soda & cream of tartar - cut in margarine or butter (I find
that margarine is easier when rolling out the cookies). Beat eggs, add
sugar & almond - mix well. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix
well by hand.
Chill at least 15 min (several days is ok). Roll out to desired
thickness on floured surface and cut into shapes. Decorate with colored
sugar, or if you prefer, after baked & cooled frost and then sprinkle
with colored sugar, etc.
2 c powdered sugar mixed with some melted butter & lemon juice frosts
one batch.

DRY FLOUR MIX
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch 1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.

Here's one I've had success with - I've taken these to parties where
nonceliac children and adults have enjoyed them.  Made them for my son's
(he has celiac) class Halloween party for the kids to frost and no one
knew the difference.  These are a softer sugar cookie - not a real crisp
cookie.  If you want a real crisp cookie - try using all rice flour and
baking longer.  Good Luck!

Sugar Cookies
Karin Parker

1 ¼ cups brown rice flour
¾ cup sweet rice flour
½ cup potato starch (flour)
½ cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine (cold)
2 eggs (cold)
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla and omit the almond or
lemon)
½ teaspoon almond or lemon extract (or 1 teaspoon almond or lemon and
omit the vanilla)

Combine the flours, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
Mix well.  Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture is in crumbs
the size of peas.  In a small bowl beat the sugar, egg, vanilla and
almond (or lemon) flavorings together.  Add this mixture to the dry
ingredients and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides.  Form the
dough into a flat ball shape and refrigerate for one hour.  Roll dough
out on a dusted (sweet rice flour works well or powdered sugar) counter
(or parchment paper) to ¼ inch thick and cut out shapes as desired.
Bake at 350°for 12 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack and frost.  Makes
approximately 4 dozen cookies.  Recipe can be easily halved.

I used Duncan Hines Creamy Homestyle Cream Cheese Frosting.
As far as cut out sugar cookies, I have used GF Pantry's recipe for this
too (from their website)  Personally, I didn't think it was that great
so I would love to hear other good recipes that you get for this.

Bette Hagman's sugar cookies are great!  I used the revised version in
Bette Hagman's "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy" for
Thanksgiving, and the cookies were easy to cut out and tasted like the
real thing!  I plan on using them for my Christmas cookies.