From:
"Celeste M. Sutter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:26:00 EST

For those interested, the following are the responses I received to my
inquiry about taking my daughter to the dentist:

The powder in gloves is corn starch.

Some older type rubber gloves were "powdered" with a flour based powder,
but there are now powder free gloves available.  Something that should be
obvious but you should look out for anyway is the rinse provided if not
just water.  After explaining why I had to avoid all possible gluten
contamination including alcohol, the dental hygienist still had to think
twice when I refused the Scope rinse provided.  When she checked, Yes, it
is 40% alcohol.  Most medical professionals I have had contact with try to
do the right thing, but they need educating the same way we all do.

You should SEARCH flouride and you will find out that it is a carcinogen and
causes bone cancer.

watch the gloves

When I last went to the dentist and asked to see the ingredients in the
cleaning paste, the ingredient list was so vague as to be worthless.  I just
get them to use pumice and water.  It really doesn't have much taste at
all...hopefully your daughter won't mind it.

A good idea would be to alert the dentist that your daughter is a celiac.
 My dentist is aware and makes sure that anything he puts in my mouth is
gluten free.

Thanks for the info,

Celeste
Hanover, IN