From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:47:47 -0700

hello, Listmates:

The editor of Remedy Magazine (2.3 million subscribers) has asked me
to do a short article about Celiac...actually, I offered, and she
accepted. I have worked as a reporter in television and print for
more than thirty years, but this is the first time I've sought an
opportunity to raise awareness and to present an accurate overview of
the condition we share.

I need your help.

I would like to have some case history material, using real stories
and real names, that highlight how elusive the symptoms are. I think
it's still true that while many more doctors know about Celiac than
did when I was diagnosed ten years ago, many in the medical field
still think gastro symptoms and thinness are the only and the
invariable hallmarks of the condition.

I am guessing also that it is still true that not only doctors, but
many who later learn they have Celiac, ignore or misattribute
symptoms like canker sores, joint pains and fatigue because there is
not yet great awareness of the array of Celiac symptoms.

If the above sounds familiar, if you've been diagnosed in the last
few years and if you'd be willing to be an interview subject for the
article, I would love to hear from you. While I personally agree that
a good response to the gluten-free diet is a fair indication that you
have Celiac, for purposes of this article I need interview subjects
who are either biopsy diagnosed or had striking blood test results.

Also, I would be interesting in talking with people who were
diagnosed with IBS or other intestinal disorder and accepted that for
a pretty long time before getting a Celiac diagnosis.

Thanks so much!

Mary Brown
NYC