From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:04:51 -0700

Thank you for your replies to my request for tomato sauce
replacements. They are as follows:

"Quick and easy to make  - you won't believe it's not really
tomatoes!   You can use this for Spaghetti Sauce,  Chili base or
Pizza sauce or Whatever Sauce!

2 1/2 C steamed carrots
    1/3 C steamed beets (other recipe said 1/2 cup)
     2/3 C Water
   3 Tbsp Lemon juice
     1 1/2 tsp Salt
   1-Tbsp Basil (leave out for Chili)
    1/8 tsp Oregano
   3/4 C chopped, cooked onions (I use dried flakes equivalent),
     1 clove minced Garlic

Steam carrots and beets until tender. Brown onion & garlic together.
Measure all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add
cooked ground meat or meatballs for spaghetti sauce. Or use as is for
pizza sauce. Omit Basil for Chili and use as you would normally. It
freezes nicely in a  canning jar. Remember to allow about an inch at
the top and tighten jar lid after sauce freezes."
--------------
One person uses mustard in place of tomato sauce.
--------------
Chicken stock with wine
--------------
"I would try just making a gravy :)  I made some tonight for the
first time (I'm recently diagnosed and GF) and it was yummy.  I used
plain ol' water, rice flour. I added garlic, white pepper and paprika
to the chicken and quick fried it.    I'd cook the ground beef and
then drain it- save the drippings, then add the flour through a
sifter so it doesn't get lumpy and some water or beef broth if you
find some that's GF.  stir until thicken.  Of course it won't taste
tomato like but it should have a good flavor.  Now remember, I
haven't done it with beef, so maybe you wanna try it first with just
a tablespoon of beef and see how it tastes.  - I did it tonight with
chicken - it is was yummy.

Quick fried chicken in olive oil
added garlic, paprika and white pepper
waited til it was a nice brown and added water
then sifted in some rice flour
stir well
brought to a simmer and covered the pan
occassionally checked to see if it needed more flour to thicken and
stirred

  I don't see why it wouldn't work with beef and you could try your
own spices...."
Recipes at:

http://newdiets.com/Condiments/Non_Tomato_Sauce.shtml

  http://tinyurl.com/22brcb