From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 00:36:32 -0400

I bet you all thought I'd renegged on my promise to do a Polenta
summary (way back in March), eh? Well I didn't forget; tax preparations
got in the way. But now my taxes are filed and my kids out of school so
I have a moment at home: here goes!

The problem I had with polenta was getting it solid enough to use with
other ingredients (e.g. in a polenta lasagne). When I used jelly-like
polenta, it seemed to disappear! But when I asked for help, I was not very
specific at the start and I got a whole lot of wonderful suggestions for
uses, as well as cooking techniques.

Ellen Eagan suggested using the microwave instead of a double-boiler.
Mix up the polenta, and microwave it on high for 2-3 minute intervals,
stirring between each. Keep at it until you get the right consistency
(for Jane this takes about 8 minutes).

The following recipe comes from Joe Ames. In it he seems to have answered
my question about what consistency the polenta needs to be when I turn it
out: it should have stiffened and it will pull away from the sides of
the pan.

POLENTA - NORTHERN ITALIAN STYLE

5 1/2 c. water
Salt
1 3/4 - 2 c. yellow corn meal (Quaker Brand), coarse

Pour water into large heavy pot (cast iron if available), add salt
and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat so water is just simmering.  Pour
the corn meal slowly using a wire whisk egg beater (or through your
fingers) in a steady slow stream, while churning the corn meal and
water with the whisk (to minimize lumping of corn meal) until all of
the corn meal has been used up.  Stir with whisk a few times, then
cover and cook at low temperature.  Stir mixture thoroughly every few
minutes with whisk or wooden spoon for about 30 to 45 minutes or until
mixture stiffens and pulls away from the sides of the pan.  The polenta
is ready.

Slowly invert the polenta on to a wooden or plastic serving board or
large dish, shaping to resemble a cake.  Using a double strand of white
sewing thread begin slicing polenta into "bread slices" by cutting from
one side and then from the other side. To keep polenta warm, cover with
a clean, white dish towel.  Serve. Polenta in Italy is served as a
substitute for bread and can be served with any dish, stew or fish.
If any polenta is left over, let it cool, wrap it up in the white dish
towel and place in refrigerator for later use.  It can be toasted in
the toaster oven an eaten with your favorite cold cuts, salads or your
next main meal. The crust that is left in the pan, when dried, is
like tortilla chips.  Delicious.

The most important part of this preparation is to "gelatinize" the corn,
that is to cook it long enough, measure your cooking time from the time
it starts bubbling, when its good and hot.If you want to experiment,
this can be done in about 1/3 the time in the microwave, covered
with plastic wrap, and stirred a few times.  Have fun.

 ---------------------------------

But wait! There's more good info from so many helpful people on the list:

Ellen Switkes, who makes polenta from a packaged mix, has another method:
"I add the polenta, water, a piece of butter and a little salt, pop the
entire thing into the oven and bake for 50 minutes, stir once, bake
another 10 minutes.  Presto, great polenta, no constantstirring.   You
can add cheese or whatever you want at the 50 stage."

My favorite post came from Russell Baleson in Johannesburg, South Africa,
who offered insight into how polenta is used elsewhere in the world,
including a few new (to me!) thoughts on how polenta can be used. In an
earlier message, he told me that polenta is one of his comfort foods, and
these descriptions tell me why:

"Here are a few suggestions and I hope they work although I'd suggest
you find an Italian shop somewhere and buy the packeted Polenta from
them.  All over the world the Italian polenta is relatively
inexpensive, very quick to make, and usually delicious.

"However, the secret of 'thickness' is to make the mixture of corn
and water as thick as you possibly can. It should be a tough
dough-like mixture although not too thick to be dry and crumbly, and
then leave it in a pot over a low heat for AT LEAST thirty minutes.

"In South Africa, the staple diet of most of the different cultures
is something called pap (pronounced more like pup) which is a very
stiff consistency white corn meal. Everyone eats it and it is served
with any kind of meat or gravy, honey, vegetables or basically
anything.  No barbeque is ever without pap!

"The other thing you can do with polenta is to take your finished
product, even if it's not too thick and put it in a baking pan,
bread-size is best and leave it in a fairly hot oven for about
thirty minutes.  When ready, it is quite firm and can be cut into
slices for lunches, quick cold meals, to be covered with other
foods, etc.  I like it best once it has cooled or been refrigerated."

Another recipe I want to try comes from Joe S. Warren in Titusville,
Florida:

 --------------------------------

PAN BROWNED POLENTA

1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons each minced green bell pepper and drained, minced oil-packed
dried tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  About 1/4 cup oil from dried tomatoes; or 1/4 cup olive oil
4 1/2 cups regular-strength chicken broth
1 1/2 cups polenta (Italian-style cornmeal) or yellow cornmeal

In a 4- or 5-quart pan over medium heat, combine onion, bell pepper,
tomatoes, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of the oil.  Cook, stiring
occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.  Add 3 cups of the
broth; bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat.

Meanwhile, mix polenta with remaining 1 1/2 cups broth.  Using a
long-handled spoon, gradually stir polenta mixture into boiling broth; it
will thicken and spatter.  Reduce heat to low and continue stirring for 5
more minutes.  Remove from heat and at once spoon polenta into a 4- by
8-inch loaf pan.  Let stand for 30 minutes to firm (or let cool, then
cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days).

Run a knife around edges of pan and turn polenta out onto a board.
Carefully cut crosswise into 8 slices; cut slices diagonally in half.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium
heat.  Add as many polenta slices as will fit without crowding.  Cook,
uncovered, turning as needed, until golden on each side, about 5 minutes;
remove from pan and keep warm.  Repeat to cook remaining polenta, adding
more oil to pan as needed.

(End of polenta notes)

Thanks to everyone who answered me; even if I didn't quote you here your
ideas are in my polenta file and will help when have time to get back
to making some!

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA