From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:37:36 -0800

Nexium is NOT GF.  Here's an email response I received from someone that
contacted the company.  My sincere thanks to the family that sent this
email.

Jill

"I researched Nexium on 10/31/01 and it is NOT gluten free.  I called
the manufacturer ASTRA PHARMACEUTICAL at 800-225-2787 and was advised
that the product contains "sugar spheres" that contain starch from
variable sources including wheat.  There is a possibility that Stokes
can compound this product without the offending spheres."

I have in my notes several other similar products for GI issues that
were declared by the manufacturers to be gluten free.  The information
is as follows:

ACIPHEX - This is made by several manufacturers.  The two that I
contacted on 10/31/01 were EISAI at 888-422-4743, and JANNSEN
PHARMACEUTICA at 800-526-7736. Both manufacturers  made blanket
statements that their version of ACIPHEX was gluten free at that
time.PREVACID - TAP PHARMACEUTICAL 800-621-1020.  On 10/31/01 they
stated that this product contains no gluten, no ingredients from wheat,
oats, rye, barley or spelt.  The starch in this product is from corn.
PRILOSEC - ASTRA PHARMACEUTICAL 800-225-2787.  On 10/31/01 they said
that this product was gluten free, but my wife developed abdominal
cramps from this product and we will not risk it again.

PROTONIX - WYETH-AYERST LABS 800-999-9384.  On 10/31/01 the manufacturer
said that both tablets and injectible versions are gluten free, but my
wife had a non-celiac reaction (dehydration, hoarseness and ultra dry
mouth) and cannot tolerate this product.