From:
Chrisalis Stoddard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chrisalis Stoddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:15:55 -0700

I have been reading these emails for about 6 weeks now, mostly for
information, and have discovered that I guess I have it better than
most of the posters on this site.  Mine appears to be just an
intolerance to gluten.  I suffered from abdominal pain and alternating
bouts of bloating/constipation and diarrah since I was a child.  Dr.'s
told me I had IBS or was carb intolerant.  Finally as an adult I read
about CD and decided to try going wheat free.  The pain left my body
and within days I was truly "normal" (I grew up thinking that pain was
normal).

I then reintroduced wheat back into my diet and the pain returned.  So
now I have tested the waters and know my limits.  I do not have to be
as fanatic as most of you appear to be.  I just have to keep gluten out
of my diet in large amounts.  I use Tamari, go to subway (for salads)
and eat pasta (non-gluten) - but I don't have to worry about
cross-contamination.  Sometimes I eat something that has gluten in it
and I usually find out a couple days later when the bloating sets in.
But because my intake is small my discomfort is small and it doesn't
interfere with my life.

While my challenges are sometimes great -- I truly feel for those of
you who are CD.  Your challenges are many and way more difficult than
mine.  I applaud your resolve and wish you all the best of luck in
sorting out the do's & don't's of CD.

I have family/friends that are diabetic or that rash if they eat wheat
and I myself am also allergic to shellfish.  So I am well aware of the
difficulties of ordering special foods in restaurants. I often times
give up explaining and just order around the problem .. but I won't any
more, because we all need to continue the fight - educate the public -
so that everyone can eat out and have an enjoyable time.

I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading your postings and
while I have to admit I have chuckled at reading about having to keep
boxes of crackers separate from each other (GF vs Non-GF) I do
understand the necessity and I have learned about a few more items to
stay away from.

Thanks and best of luck to all!

Chrisalis