From:
Mary Straiton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:47:47 -0400

On 21st June, I posted a question about Rickets and its possible
connection with Coeliac disease (four members of my extended family
have had Rickets).

I had four replies

One correspondent who had a problem with osteomalacia (a softening of
the bones and commonly called rickets many years ago) has gone onto
hormone replacement therapy and a Vitamin D capsule along with
calcium citrate and her bone density went to 103% for her age group.
Her blood serum calcium level had been 5.9 which is critical.  (She
did not say what it is now).

Another correspondent had been puzzled about which side of the
family she had inherited Coeliac Disease but felt after receiving my
posting that maybe it was her mother's side of the family since both
an aunt and an uncle had been diagnosed with rickets.

Yet another correspondent, described the treatment of  osteomalacia
with high calcium, high phosphorus and adequate amounts of Vitamin D,
giving "prompt and often dramatic relief from the disease".

The co-owner of a mailing list dealing with a particular kind of
rickets 'hypophosphatemic rickets' invited me to join their
listserver and gave me the address of their public web site:

http://georgia.ncl.ac.uk/VitaminD/vitaminD.html

These people are "mostly interested in a precisely diagnosed genetic
condition which is caused by phosphate loss through the kidneys".

The above answers have given me much food for thought.  Thank you all
very much for replying.  I must apologise for the late response but
have been away (trying to cope with a GF diet in the outback!)

Yours faithfully
Mary Straiton (Mrs)