From:
Donna Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:03:42 -0600

FINALLY got it straight to our server that this list is not spam to be
filtered!  I've been GF for a year, and whenever I goof, I get intestinal
spasms the next day, so that keeps me on the straight and narrow.  This week
someone gave us some ham they had leftover from the holidays, and I put in
in with some beans.  Had some for supper.  Had a small bowl for lunch the
next day, and within half an hour had a tickle in the left side of my
throat.  The gut spasms started that afternoon, presumably indicating I'd
eaten some gluten, but I didn't think I had.  Ate a big bowl of beans and
ham for supper, and an hour or so later began to hurt again on the left side
of the throat, down almost to the collar bone.  It didn't feel like a normal
sore throat at all.  It progressed rapidly, began affecting my voice, and I
thought, "oh dear, I'm going to be too sick to work tomorrow, and that NEVER
happens to me."  It lasted for maybe 2-3 hours, then I went to bed.  The gut
spasms were terrible all that time, and the next morning.   The throat thing
was practically gone in the morning, and now my husband and I suspect some
kind of "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" or something in the ham.  I always
read the labels on deli meat, and have never had a problem, but this came
with no label.  Have any of you had such reactions?

    I am a massage therapist and used to work on a short 82 year old lady
with scoliosis and various other celiac symptoms.  She had been going to the
hospital every other month for years to get her esophagus stretched.  One
day at a fast food joint her esophagus went into spasm and managed to cut
off her breathing too.  The ambulance came and they saved her, and then she
submitted to the botulism shots her doc had been offering.  Now I wonder if
it was the nice white buns at the fast food joint that set off her spasms.
TIA.  Donna H