From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:24:46 -0400

I am sorry this summary took so long.  I had asked for the name of the
book that was written by someone who had MS and was helped by the gluten
free diet.  Thank you to everyone who replied.
Ginny

www.direct-ms.org advocates a milk-free, gluten-free diet along with
various supplements, including maintaining above normal levels of serum
Vitamin D...

Most interesting book on Vit D is UV Advantage by Michael Horlick.

You are probably thinking of the Roger McDougall story:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041103093349/http://www.direct-ms.org/roger.html
I don't know the book you're referring to in your post, but two of my books
discuss the association between MS and gluten ("Living Gluten-Free for
Dummies" and "Wheat-Free, Worry-Free").
Danna Korn
----------------------------------------------------------------------------"Roger
MacDougall was a famous British playright  who was diagnosed with MS in
the 1950's.  The doctors felt it was best to keep this information from
him.  They thought it was in his best interest not to tell him  what he
had. [What STUPID ARROGANCE!!!!]  It was not until he was bedridden that
he learned what illness he had.  When he knew about it, he did some
reading and went on a gluten and casein free diet.  He recovered almost
totally.  This
is taken from a book called, CAN A GLUTEN FREE DIET HELP?  HOW?  by Lloyd
Rosenvold, M.D.    Keats Publishing Co., 27 Pine Street,  Box 876, New
Canaan, CT  06840-0876, 1992  ISBN 0-87983-538-9.
MacDougall eventually wrote a pamphlet titled "My Fight Against Multiple
Sclerosis"published in 1980  by  Regenics, Inc.,  Mansfield, Ohio.
Rosenvold also includes some other anecdotes in his book.

"Īn the October 5, 1974 Lancet [an English medical publication]  Dr. Normal
A. Matheson's letter, "multiple Sclerosis and Diet is published on page
831...

There is also mention of  an article by Ashton Embrey entitled "MS Probable
Cause and Best Bet Treatment.  Available at
http://www.2cowherd.net/q/embry,htm       You may be able to get a copy via
e-mail from   [log in to unmask]    I have not been in touch with Don for
ten years or more.  Ron Hoggan should be able to help with this, too.  His
address on e-mail is  [log in to unmask]

Dr. Joe Murray, who is now at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, has also written
about the connectin between celiac disease and MS.  I'm sure you could
contact him via phone or a search