From:
Mary Schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:34:27 -0700

On Valentine's Day, I was feeling a little (well, perhaps a lot) sorry
for myself as there was lots of special baking being shared around the
workplace (I work at a high school).  A little later in the day, one of
our teachers came to my office to arrange registration for a course
called "Non-nutriative Mealtime Experience".  I asked her what that was.
 She explained that people who are tube-fed need to chew on non-foods to
keep the muscles in their mouths and throats exercised.  It is necessary
to keep these muscles 'in shape' to lessen the likelihood of aspirating
saliva, which can lead to unpleasant things like pneumonia, etc.
Gluten-free things sure 'kick-butt' on tube-fed!!!

That exchange put a quick end to my private pity-party.