From:
Michael Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:21:42 -0600

Dear All,

Thank you for responding to my question, " is maltodextrin found in a
FOOD product from the USA is considered GF? "

7 people believe the answer to be yes.
2 people believe the answer to be no.
1 person says it could be yes or no.

Here are some exerpts.

Yes, maltodextrin in food products in the USA is made from corn and is
therefore gluten free. However, this is not necessarily true for
pharmaceuticals.

Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA
regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to
vitamin or mineral supplements and medications.   Donald Kasarda Ph.D.,
a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States
Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are
made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat,
rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be
too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no
guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat
starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future.

 In the US Maltodextrin is prepared from corn, potato or rice only.

If you like to know how various additives can be manufactured in the US,
the Code of Federal Regulations is a nice place to check.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/21cfr184_99.html .  When
you access this site, scroll down to maltodextrin and click on the text
icon.

Maltodextrin is derived from corn so it is gf.  However, dextrin could
be derived from wheat unless other wise labelled as
corn dextrin, tapioca dextrin, etc.. (Source:  The gf Gourmet.  Living
Well Without Wheat.  Bette Hagman.  1990. P.6)

I publish the Clan Thompson Pocket Guide to Gluten Free Foods
and, in the course of doing that, I have to do a lot of research on
the information included in our guide.  According to my research,
maltose and dextrins (which make up malto-dextrin) are obtained by
enzymatic action of barley malt or
corn flour so foods containing this ingredient have to be checked for
gluten.  Hope this helps.  ([log in to unmask])

The two who disagreed did not list sources that I could cite for you.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sharon in St. Louis (USA)