From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:38:33 -0400

"If the diet works you must be celiac" =  unfortunately, this is not true.
Many different gi conditions will show improvement on a gf diet, even things
such as parasitic infestations or bacterial infections.  Apparently nobody
is really sure why this is so.  It could lead you to safely conclude you are
celiac and have "fixed" the problem with a gf diet, when in fact you are
barking up the wrong tree and need treatment for something else.

As an adult, if you want to take chances with your own health and eschew
informed medical advice, that is certainly your choice.

I think parents of children with gi symptoms are in a different situation.
Gluten challenges may prove necessary to try to confirm a diagnosis.  It is
VERY hard for kids to follow a gf diet, in spite of all our best efforts to
help them.  Why should they be subjected to this if they are in fact not
celiac?  And what if in our narcissitic certainty that we can confirm the
diagnosis ourselves we miss another condition that needs medical attention?

If something worked for you, terrific - but no need to bully everybody else
into doing it your way, or belittle them if they choose a different
direction.  Lynn