From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:02:10 -0600

I have written before about my older son and getting him tested for
possiblity of celiac. I'm celiac and younger son is.  Yesterday we saw the
GI and his blood has been sent out for the "celiac" tests since none are
available locally. Dr. said it would take at least 3 weeks to get the
results.  The GI also said that his tummy aches are being caused by
constipation and has prescribe "lactulose" 2 TBSP 2X/day for at least 6
mths.  She said that his bowels are stretched and we need to get them back
into shape by long term laxative therapy.  I know this may not be celiac
related but has anyone out there had this type of problem.  He is 5 yrs old
and has always had "elephant poops" has complained more in the last 6-9 mths
of tummy aches.  He does have a bowel movement at least once/day, so I never
thought it was constipation, my idea of constipation is that you go for days

without a BM. He has also been diagnosed ADHD and is taking ritalin and has
been greatly improved in school and the noise level at home has been lowered
by decibels.  He has only been taking the medication since October 94 and
took one month off in January and has had the "constipation" condition much
longer than been taking the meds.  By the way, when he took the month off
the meds we ended up in emerg and he had an enema since he was so
constipated and was having severe tummy pains to the point he was crying.

Sorry to ramble on, just looking for any assistance (support) from anyone.
Doctors also welcome to reply.

Thanx in advance.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada