From:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:31:37 -0500

Below I have pasted the definition of gluten-free, which I copied from www.celiac.com, a site everyone should have bookmarked. As food for thought though, I thought I would mention that I have recently read that rats can taste poison down to one part per million. Of course this does not prove that Celiacs would react down to one part per million, but it is something to bear in mind when being mean and insulting to those who share that they do react to cross-contamination, to charcoal-grilled foods, or even to vinegars and distilled alcohols. Maybe their guts are more highly attuned and can "taste" and react to lower parts per million than have been tested for in studies (or, maybe they are a minority and have not shown up in studies).

Cheers!

Hilary

It goes on in section 2.1 to state that "Gluten-Free" foods are food stuffs so described:

  a.. a) consisting of or made only from ingredients which do not contain any prolamins from wheat or all Triticum species such as spelt, kamut, or durum, wheat, barley, oats, spelt or their crossbred varieties with a gluten level not exceeding 20 parts per million (ppm): or
  b.. b) consisting of ingredients from wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt or their crossbred varieties, which have been rendered "gluten-free"; with a gluten level not exceeding 200ppm: or
  c.. c) any mixture of the two ingredients as in a) and b) with a gluten level not exceeding 200ppm.
In section 3.1 of the report it states:

"For the purpose of this standard 'gluten-free' means that the total content of gluten in products defined in 2.1a) shall not exceed 20ppm, that the total content of gluten from wheat, rye, barley, oats or crossbred varieties of these does not exceed 200ppm in these food stuffs or ingredients defined in 2.1b) and c) on a dry matter basis. The prolamin content of liquid food products is in the same way expressed in ppm of the original product."

All products sold at The Gluten-Free MallT fit into category "a" above. Additionally ingredients for all products sold at The Gluten-Free MallT are listed on each product page so that our customers can also avoid other allergens besides gluten. It is the customers sole responsibility to read and understand the ingredients in each product that they purchase on our site, and to know what is safe for their diets. To sort our products by other allergens just go here.