From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:50:04 EST

                         Newsletter Roundup
                         ------------------
                        Compiled by Jim Lyles

We exchange newsletters with several other celiac groups.  In this
article I will summarize some of what we've learned from our
newsletter swapping.

:                                                        :
:          Excerpts from _Gluten-free Friends_           :
:          -----------------------------------           :
: Winter 1996 (Vol. 2, No. 4)     R. Jean Powell, editor :
:                                 Montana Celiac Society :
:                              1019 So. Bozeman Ave.  #3 :
:                                    Bozeman, MT  59715  :
:........................................................:

A Little Won't Hurt....Will It?  The body's primary defender in the
immune lymphatic system is the T-cell, which recognizes antigens
(foreign proteins) in the body and produces antibodies to neutralize
them.  It has been suggested that a celiac's immune system may mistake
the gliadin protein from wheat [and similar proteins in rye, barley,
and possibly oats--ed.] for an invader such as a bacterium or virus.

                              -=-=-=-=-

According to Jerry Crabtree of Stanford University, when T-cells are
activated by an antigen, for the next two weeks they will proceed step
by step through a very precise pre-programmed sequence of events.
Some 200-500 genes will activate, one after another, ticking off like
soldiers standing up to be counted, and will do so the exact same way
each time, with each gene producing its own particular protein.  To
make all of these proteins, the immune system needs about two weeks.
Once a cell has passed a critical point in the activation process
(which happens within an hour) it is committed to it.  If you take
away the stimulus (the antigen) at that point, the cell would still
tick along through its two-week sequence.<3>

For celiacs, occasional accidental ingestion of a minuscule amount of
gliadin could presumably still lead to a two-week activation of
T-cells.  If gliadin is consistently ingested, the immune system
theoretically might continue indefinitely on it endless rampage.  Is
it any wonder that celiacs sometimes feel weary?

:                                                        :
:  Excerpts from the Houston Celiac-Sprue Support Group  :
:  ----------------------------------------------------  :
: newsletter: Nov. 1996     Janet Y. Rinehart, President :
:                                      11011 Chevy Chase :
:                                Houston, TX  77042-2606 :
:........................................................:

Osteoporosis:  Dr. Susan Mueller spoke to the Houston Celiac-Sprue
Support Group in September.  She was the Assistant Chief of Medicine
at the University of Texas Medical School, and is now at the
Kelsey-Sebold Medical Center Clinic.  Here are some excerpts from her
talk:  [I've pared this down considerably.  We had a detailed talk
about bone disease earlier this year which was written up in the
May/June 1996 issue of The Sprue-nik Press.--ed.]

A combination of genetic, dietary, hormonal, age-related, and
lifestyle factors all contribute to osteoporosis.  It is a disease
that gradually weakens bones, and is not restricted to just the
elderly.  The upper part of the spine (in the rib cage area) is the
most likely place for fractures, followed by the hips and wrists.

A typical portrait of a person at risk for developing osteoporosis
would include some of these factors:

   small size or thin form
   fair skin, Caucasian or Asian ancestry
   family history of osteoporosis
   postmenopausal women
   surgical menopause
   taking thyroid medication or cortisone-like drugs
   diet low in dairy products and other sources of calcium
   physically inactive lifestyle

Osteoporosis causes problems with other organs.  It may compress lung
space (and fluid might develop around lungs).  There may be loss of
height.  Some clinical features of advanced postmenopausal
osteoporosis include back pain, multiple fractures in the wrists and
hips, kyphosis (dowager's hump), and abnormal jaw bone loss.

Certain lifestyle factors promote bone loss, including smoking,
drinking alcoholic beverages in excess (more than one or two a day),
and lack of exercise.  Also, a balanced diet with enough Vitamin D and
calcium is important.

Some medications can contribute to bone loss:

   certain antacids containing aluminum
   anticonvulsants
   some chemotherapy drugs
   corticosteroids
   coumadin
   heparin
   tetracycline

Routine X-rays can't detect osteoporosis until it is quite advanced.
The DXA (dual-energy X-ray absorptionometry) machine is FDA-approved
for measuring bone density in the lumbar spine region and hips, and
uses less radiation than a CAT scan.

Another new test, marketed as "Osteomark", provides an indication of
bone breakdown by detecting a specific component of bone breakdown in
a urine sample.  With this test clinical labs can get results in about
two hours.  This test can help physicians monitor treatment and
identify fast losers of bone for more aggressive treatment, but it can
not be used to actually diagnose osteoporosis.<4>

Your skeletal calcium "bank" has to last through old age.  Frequent
"deposits" to this account should begin in youth and be maintained
throughout life to help minimize "withdrawals".  Most adults get less
calcium than they need--as little as half.  Calcium is critical, but
even a high intake won't fully protect you against bone loss caused by
estrogen deficiency, physical inactivity, alcohol abuse, smoking, or
medical disorders and treatments.

:                                                               :
:        Excerpts from the San Antonio CS Support Group         :
:        ----------------------------------------------         :
: newsletter: Oct. 1996     Lynn Rainwater, Secretary/Treasurer :
:                                              1023 Cloverbrook :
:                                   San Antonio, TX  78245-1604 :
:...............................................................:

Relations With Food Manufacturers:  During the CSA Annual Conference
session on GF commercial foods, CSA Executive Director Leon Rottmann
stated that approximately 40% of all contacts by celiacs with food
manufacturers are harmful to our relations with them.  Why?  Because
of the intemperate language used.  Several companies have become so
tired of the frequent angry tirades that they will no longer cooperate
with our attempt to determine the gluten status of their products.
Dr.  Rottmann asks that we be courteous when we call or write for
information.  The customer relations personnel who respond to our
calls or letters will appreciate our attitude, and we will have a
greater chance of obtaining the information we seek.