Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:46:11 -0700

Hello!

I was cleaning out my files and realized I had never posted this to the
newsgroup.  I thought I had found a potential gluten-free series of snack
bars at the health food store, but was sadly disappointed.  "Be Natural"
products may not contain identifiable "evil" glutens, but the puffed rice
does contain malt. Rats!

Here is the letter exchange, with bits from my e-mails left out, but full
copies of the responses from the company.
-M

Message: hello-- I have seen your Be Natural products in my health food
store. I would love to try your products, but I have celiac disease-- an
intolerance for the gluten proteins found in wheat, rye, oats(due to
contamination in the milling process), and barley. Do you have a list of
products which do not contain gluten, and which are reasonably safe from
cross-contamination issues in your production methods? Thanks for any
information you can give me!

Sincerely,
Nana W
U.S.A.

Subject: Re: Consumer hotline Inquiry from Nana Williford

Dear Ms Williford,

We thank you for your email in which you enquired about the gluten status
of our products. We are only too happy to supply you with any information
you may ask regarding any of our products.

All our Be Natural Bars contain gluten because they contain either puffed
rice, wheat flakes or bran flakes. Non of our Be Natural Products are
gluten-free.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. Once again we thank you
for the time that you have taken to write to us.

Yours Faithfully,

THE HEALTHY SNACK PEOPLE
Dear Healthy Snack People,

As you can see below this message, I have been asking about the
gluten-free status of your products [...]

Can you clarify why products [usually] containing no wheat, oats, rye, or
barley, but indeed containing puffed rice might be unsafe for a
gluten-intolerant person?

[...]

Thanks for your time.
M. Williford
-----------------

Dear Ms Williford,

All our products are not gluten free because the puffed rice that is use
in our
products contain malt extract that is manufactured from barley. Please
contact
us again if you need further clarification.

Yours Faithfully,

THE HEALTHY SNACK PEOPLE

=====
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach
that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you
for weeks. - Willie Weiss