From:
Betty Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 09:07:42 -0500

>  Is there any such thing as GF Egg Nogg? If there is would anyone have the
> recipe? Being a REAL holiday lover, it must be the one thing I miss the
> most.

Here in the South, people prefer "Boiled Custard" to Egg Nog.  Frankly, I
was afraid to make egg nog this year because of the "raw" eggs.  I looked in
every cookbook I have (many, many) and could not find a recipe for egg nog
that called for cooking the eggs first.   I made the boiled custard (alcohol
free), and it turned out pretty good.  If you are not sensitive to dairy
products, you might like the boiled custard.  You beat 4 eggs with a half cup
of sugar, then add a quart of scalded milk and two marshmallows, and cook in
a double-boiler over simmering water until the mixture coats a silver spoon.
 Then cool and refrigerate.  When cold, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Sprinkle
with nutmeg when serving.  I guess you could add some liquor if you wanted
to.

My husband's aunt who was here Christmas said she has a recipe for boiled
custard that is really good and easier than this one.  It uses vanilla
instant pudding and a package of Dream Whip, but she wasn't sure of the
measurements.  I have been told that Jello puddings are GF but I am not
really sure, so usually I make my own pudding.  I don't know about Dram Whip
either.  If I decide to make this one next year, I guess I will investigate
all of the ingredients first and substitute as necessary.

Betty