Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 20:57:16 -0700

> Amy Jerreat <[log in to unmask]> asked:
>
> >This is another mention of 'Irish' in connection with Celiacs.  Another
> >post mentioned that Ireland had the highest incidenced in the world.
> >Can anyone tell me why?  Is it that their grain consumption is higher
> >than the rest of the world?
> >Being of Irish descent I am wondering if it is a gene factor.

Let me start by saying that I don't know much about what I'm talking
about yet. But I understood that CD was always a gene factor. It is
genetic. I do know that the incidence of CD is much greater in West
Europe than elsewhere, and far more prevalent in WEst Ireland. Where the
US has an incidence of 2 cases per 1000, Ireland has 30 per 1000. That's
diagnosed cases; probably a lot higher if undiagnosed are counted.

The Irish also, I notice, have the highest rate of schizophrenia of any
other ethnic group. I wonder if these two things are related, since
schizophrenia can be one of the symptoms of CD.

Is a good verbal ability the only good thing we inherit from our Irish
background? Everything else seems to be negative from alcoholism to the
other things mentioned. Also I wish I didn't carry grudges so easily :)

vance