From:
"Amy L. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy L. Jones
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:46:28 -0400

1)       Go Picnic carries a number of shelf-stable "lunchable-stye" meals. The can be ordered from their website (www.gopicnic.com<http://www.gopicnic.com/>) where they often have coupons or she can check at Target who started carrying them. I find they usually need a piece of fruit to round them out.  Costco often carries them as well. Sacks should be relatively easy as she can take the crackers or chips like Chipins popcorn chips or Snyder's GF pretzels of whatever variety she likes.  Giant is starting to carry a lot of these as well as Whole Foods. I am not sure which grocery stores are in your area, so it may be a bit of a search.  A bag of Cuties oranges or clementines are really great snacks and refrigeration is less of an issue.  If she wants bread - a shelf-stable version such as the new one from Schaars or Udi's should last and wouldn't need toasting. Baby carrots are pretty easy if she likes those - or whatever vegetables she enjoys - precut and ready to go in quick-grab bags. She could take whatever sandwich toppings she really enjoys. I would add some fun snacks or special  GFcookies or something that she gets rarely but really enjoys so that she has a treat she looks forward to when she has to eat different food from everyone else.

2)       Foodtek makes microwavable mixes for bread etc. It is only sold online www.foodtek.com<http://www.foodtek.com>.   I would imagine a hotel would be able to supply a microwave.

3)       I had this for both my kids, trip to Washington.  I got from the school everywhere they would be going, and called each place.  It took some doing, but for the most part I was able to find out exactly what was available.

Many of the places such as Museums have food courts where they was always something my kids could eat.

4)      On her trips they were limited to one suitcase and one carryon.  The school always let my daughter take a second carryon for food.  I would pack crackers cheese cookies.  Mainly I wanted supplements in case she did not find a lot to eat.  If the hotel has a breakfast buffet, brining cereal is good.  You can eat their fruit and use their milk on your own GF cereal.

5)      When they get to the restaurant have mom and daughter go down the buffet and let daughter pick out what she might like to eat.  Of course the fried and breaded items are not going to be able to changed or offered as a gluten-free item.  Then ask for the General Manager, Chef or Chief Cook.  Check with the GM as to the ingredients in those items the daughter would like to eat.  Ask to see labels of the items in question. The salad items are, for the most part as are the steak on the grill, turkey, chicken on the spit, etc.  Even the BBQ spare ribs - i have checked the bottle of the BBQ sauce they use at our local location and it was GF.  Same for the BBQ chicken. There really is a lot of items that are GF at the GC, but be wary of cross-contamination. Each time you go into a restaurant for a meal - find the General Manager or Chef and ask any and all questions to satisfy yourself and your daughter that what she is eating is safe.  And as we tell all of our members - WHEN IN DOUBT DON'T.  DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE TOUR GUIDES!

6)       There is a good cookbook with some make ahead sort of things that keep here.

http://www.astoriamills.ca/ Breads have decent shelf life, can be sliced and twice baked for melba like toast that can then be added to with fresh foods.

Ask for list of restaurants that will be holding buffets and call the chefs there. They can then make up a plate and boxed lunch based on the requirerments. Pay a little extra, might be a lot easier than something else.

Then all you need to do is worry about snacks etc.

7)      When I went on a trip recently, I brought already cooked Quinoa Organic, read to eat, no heating, gluten-free, in a small bowl.  Was $2.59 for one meal bowl, at healthfood store.  She may want to contact www.minsley.com<http://www.minsley.com> to find out how to get them quickly.  They're delicious, and I don't like plain food.  She can buy packets of gf soy (like sugar packets) to spice them up.  I also take tuna packts with plastic spoons.  And packets of nuts...although I'll be they'll freak out if anyone has a peanut allergy. Packets of oatmeal from Glutenfreeda are good.  You just need a cup of warm water.  (Tea without the teabag!)  The hotel frig is usually like a small college frig.  But between Mom and the girl...that's two frig's.  I also have seen non-refrigerated yogurt packets in baby aisles.   And I take squeezable or packets of dried fruit.

8)      I do know that Golden Corral is not the best place to eat.  I talked to the manager of our local Corral and the only thing she could eat would be the baked chicken (all the meats are pre-marinated in a wheat based solution) and some of the salads.   Does she have a 504 plan -- the school should insist on something be provided regarding the boxed lunch. Is there no way a fruit or green salad cannot be put in a boxed lunch or even just the deli meat and she can put it on her own bread --- hmmm -- sounds fishy to me.   Also, since the mom is going along, pack plenty of snacks, nature valley protein bars, maybe a loaf of GF bread, cereal, etc.  Make sure the hotel breakfast has some eggs, yogurt, fruit, etc.  Bring those toaster bags so she can have her GF toast in the regular toaster.   Bring some potatoes to bake in the microwave.

9)       But, I do go to DC several times a year and rely on the fabulous restaurant guide that the DC area celiac support group maintains.  They list independent as well as chain restaurants by neighborhood within DC and by towns in the surrounding multi-state area.  Perhaps the Mom can break away from the group to pick up a hot meal "to go" for her child when something viable is close by.  Also, assuming they will be going to the Smithsonian Museums, several do offer GF items such as the American Indian Museum and Air & Space.  The National Zoo has GF pizza if by chance they are going there.

10)  1. Instant grits for the continental breakfast at the hotel- don't need a toaster or the gluten free instant oatmeal although grits are a lot cheaper. (I always keep these in my suitcase, you can usually get hot water at airports, etc).

2. Go-to-Picnic are gluten free boxed meals, with a protein, nuts, crackers and hummus, etc.  I have found them at Target and Cost Plus World Market, or here is their website http://www.gopicnic.com/ 3. Orgran has pop-top cans of pasta, these can be ordered from Amazon if a local company does not have it.  4.  While this is ridiculous that accommodation is not possible, that is the reality most of the time with traveling and rather than stress the child and mom out, it may be easier to find solutions that are not bulky and easy to deal with.  This will occur many times during her school years and unfortunately, she will need to have solutions.

Amy Jones, M.S., R.D., L.D.
Logan County Celiac Support Group
205 Palmer Ave.
Bellefontaine, Oh 43311
(937) 651-6428
www.logancountyceliac.org
Check us out on FB!

******Confidentiality Notice from Mary Rutan Hospital******

This electronic mail transmission including any attached files may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized parties.  Any review, use, distribution, dissemination, downloading, copying or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient) you are hereby notified that you have received this transmission in error.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it as well as any copies from your system and notify the sender by reply e-mail.

*******
*******