From:
Caryn Gottlieb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:52:36 -0400

Thanks to all of you who got back to me so quickly.  I has posted a question about the gluten status of Jello brand vanilla pudding.  I was told that Jello brand pudding is gluten-free.

Jello is made by Kraft, and Kraft has full disclosure on their products.  So if the ingredients do not specifically mention wheat as the source of the ingredient, it is assumed to be ok.  It seems that a number of people out there regularly enjoy Jello pudding.  Other suggestions for pudding were Royal pudding, certain flavors by Trader Joe's and Kozy Shack (located in the dairy case_.  One person had heard that Jello brand pudding was not GF.  Other emails suggested that I contact Kraft to ask them directly.  Below are excerpts of some of the emails that I received, reflecting the overall tone of the messages I received.

Thanks for all of your emails,
Caryn in Washington DC

***Jello brands are Kraft products and Kraft is one of the few companies with full disclosure on labels.  Even if it says “modified food starch” but doesn’t have wheat listed, it would seem to be gluten free.  This includes gelatins and puddings, in your case.
***We use it all the time with no problems and all tests remain normal.  ENJOY!

***Jell-o puddings are GF. My husband loves them, he is the one who is a diagnosed Celiac. Good luck and enjoy as much jell-o as you want!

***I have used it with no problems.  It is listed in the CSA/USA 7th edition book as being gf.

***We have no problems with Royal vanilla pudding.

***all Jello puddings and "jello's" are GF, even the cookies and cream, cuz there
are no cookies in it

***I had been told in the past that Jello was not gf, but Royal pudding was.  I would call the company to be sure.

***Yes the pudding is gluten free and Kraft is wonderful and provides a  listening of the gf staus of all there products. The site address is http://www.kraftcanada.com/assets/docs/KLG_all.pdf

***We eat it all the time- but favor the chocolate! Also look for kozy shack ready
made pudding in the dairy case- it says gluten free right on the package. Trader
Joe's ready made pudding says gluten free too.