Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:07:51 -0500

This is similar to the apple pan cake served at Bickford's Restaurant. I had found this recipe, pre-CS, and we've been using it ever since, because Bickfords had gotten into the habit of burning them. When my mother developed the CS, I converted it to gluten free. Enjoy....just make sure that the pan you use is rated to go to 450 degrees. (That was a note in the original recipe. I can't tell you where we got ours simply because I don't remember). This is the only way I know how to make this recipe...if you have any other dietary restrictions besides the basic no-wheat, rye, etc. of CS, you'll just have to experiment because I don't have answers to those questions. (It's also a great no-meat-during-Lent supper!) Susan

Apple Pancake

2 tbsp. margarine

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

3 tbsp. sugar

4-5 Granny Smith apples

3 eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

1/4 cup potato starch flour

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

Melt margarine in an; add sugar and cinnamon, mix well. Thinly slice apples into pan. Cook, covered until apples are tender (10-15 min). Place pan, uncovered, in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk to together. Sift flour and add to egg mixture. Remove pan from oven, pour in batter. Return to oven. Bake until pancake is puffy and well browned (15-20 minutes).