From:
Marie Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:51:59 +1030

Hi Guys,

This is in regard to my posts about spelt.  Just to set a few things
straight :-)

I have discovered that this is a pretty big GREY area and therefore
slightly controversial.

Some people that I have spoken to (like the woman who sold me the Spelt)
say allot of people who can't tolerate gluten can tolerate Spelt - and
buy it from her. The advertising says that it is MAY be suitable for
people on wheat free diets.

Some information about where I am coming from:  I was told by doctors
that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the answer was to stop stressing
out and I would get better. I didn't get better and I had to lie down in
pain after every meal. I went to an alternative health person - called a
Naturopath. He muscle tested me with wheat, oats etc and said stop
eating gluten. So I did and got better. Last visit he tested me on Spelt
and said I was okay on that. I have been okay, but it has only been 4
days or so - hardly enough to tell properly but so far so good.

I have had these responses since my last summary

- that spelt is the same as wheat, the person was convinced and sent me
some exerts of scientific tests that had been carried out.

- a couple of people wrote and said that they had bad reactions

- a couple of people who were not sure about it before have now decided
that they would try it for themselves.

All I can say is that there is evidence to say that "it is not good for
Celiacs", and also yes there are apparently Celiacs who tolerate it. I
just wish I could have found some of them!! None of them seem to be on
this list any-way (maybe they are on a Spelt eaters list some-where)
You could ask at your health food store, "who buys the spelt flour?"

Because a few people wrote that they are now going to try it, I felt a
little responsible to write this summary. The answer is I really don't
know? I've had conflicting information. I don't want any-one to get sick
and I don't want to be sick either but the lure of the chance that I may
get to eat real bread is definitely worth a try!

You guys are great, I really appreciate your honesty - and patience with
me.

Kind Regards

-Marie Davies