From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:02:25 -0800

    I don't know how many people have tried quinoa and
have had trouble with it, but I'd like to mention one
thing which *needs* to be done when preparing a quinoa
dish when using the whole grain.  The quinoa *must*
be washed before use to remove the naturally occurring
saponins on the grain.  Saponins are soap-like and lend
a bitter taste to the dish as well.

    To remove the saponins, rinse the quinoa thoroughly
in a sieve until you no longer notice any sudsing.  You
may proceed with the rest of your recipe at this point.
I've always seen these instructions on boxed quinoa, but
I wanted to share this information with those of you who
may be purchasing quinoa in bulk, and who are missing the
box's info.  I believe that quinoa flour and flakes have been
washed before processing, as I have never had any trouble
with them.  I have also had good success with quinoa grain
when prepared properly.

    So, if you do decide to give quinoa a try, make
absolutely sure that you wash it before use.  Good luck.

                  Best wishes,

                  Kirsten Klinghammer

Kirsten Klinghammer    [log in to unmask]    Rescue, CA, USA