From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:42:16 -0600

Thanks to all who responded so quickly! Here's what I've got!

I've had to split "All purpose" for my uses. Here are 2 simple standbys I've found:
1. For Pancakes, Waffles and Chocolate-chip cookies:
   half-and-half Tapioca flour and Buckwheat flour,  with tap Xanthan Gum added for each cup of the blend.
2. For Sugar Cookies, Coffee Cake:
   Half-and-half Tapioca flour and Amaranth flour, with tap Xanthan Gup added for each cup of the blend.
      http://www.mauelshagen.com/recipes/hnuss.html

Amazing Grains website www.amazinggrains.com and Gifts of Nature website www.giftsofnature.net

mr. ritts flour

I have been successfully using Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Flour and adding xanthan gum per directions in Rebecca Reilly's Baking book.  It says
to add different amounts of xanthan gum depending on what you are making...cakes, cookies, breads, etc.

Here is what I found the closest thing.  It is in my "Best of Mireille" recipe collection:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=celiac&msg=14862.1

My Jewel/Osco carries pre-mixed packages of some of the Betty Hagman flour mixtures.

I found it depends on the recipe: breads are best to use a bean based flour but pancakes, muffins,  cookies, and cakes turn out best with a tapioca/brown rice flour mixture. I usually buy mixes like Pamela's or Bob's Red Mill instead of buying the individual flours as they don't stay fresh as long as "regular" flours.

Multi Blend Gluten-Free Flour produced by Authentic Foods.  http://www.authenticfoods.com

I like Bette Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix ( from her bread cookbook ) and Carol Fenster's GF Sorghum Flour Blend (made with the corn flour option).

Sylvan Border Farm's "Wheat Free General Purpose Flour"

See Bette Hagman's books ... there are several suggested mixes for different baking needs.  You will want to use different mixes for cakes, French breads and pizzas, cookies, and regular breads.  The one we use most commonly (for most general things) is 2 parts white rice flour, 2 parts tapioca flour, and 1 part potato starch.  We buy in 50 lb. lots, and the flours come in 1 lb. packages ... for smaller quantities, use cups of the flours in the same ratio.  In any event, at baking time, add 3/4 to 1 tsp xanthan gum to the flour mixture.

DRY FLOUR MIX
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch      1/2 c  or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.

We use the Orgran Self-Rising flour every weekend to make waffles.  It works like Bisquick, but it took a little experimenting to get the right liquid consistency for waffles the way that I like them. My husband is the baker and he likes the Self-Rising flour for cakes. The dry measure is equal, but it makes a wetter batter because of the gums.
We also use the Orgran plain flour for cookies.  It works well, and I have made cookies with it to bring to  cub scout meetings etc, and they always go

www.therubyrange.com

If you are willing to go by the Codex Alimentarius Standard of GF.(The european standard)  Which I do.  You can order fantastic flour from www.foodireland.com   It is the closest thing available in the US to the real stuff.  Bakes up beautifullly and has caused me no problems.  I have even had a follow up biopsy with no damage shown.

1 cup brown rice flour
1 1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup corn starch
2 tsp. xanthum gum

I usually at least triple this and store it in a large glass canister right on my counter. I would think it could also be stored in a plastic bag in the freezer to ensure freshness.  I have been VERY happy with the results - where a recipe calls for one cup flour, substitute exactly one cup of this all purpose blend.   Let me know what you think if you try it, I believe you'll be pretty happy with it. I honestly cannot tell the difference in my cookies

Bette Hageman's featherlite flour mix

Julia Child recommends constrach, cup for cup in place of reg flour.  Cakes are lighter and don't have the grittiness and yucky taste of other gf flours

Another good flour blend is Carol Fenster's flour blend from her cookbook, Gluten Free 101. It is a blend of sorghum, tapioca, cornstarch and potato starch. Her cookbook is a great resource. I have written a cookbook too available on www.specialeats.com if you are interested