From:
chufford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:32:28 -0500

Here are some things to consider regarding cross-contamination.

Strawberries: I grew up next to a strawberry farm and lived around
commercial strawberry production (in California) all my life. I've never
once seen any commercial strawberry field that used actual straw to protect
the berries from the earth. The amounts of straw required would be vast. I
think the use of wheat straw is likely limited to smaller farms in areas
where wheat straw is easy to come by. Before eliminating strawberries from
your diet, check into local growing practices.

Legumes: Now here is a real problem. Every time I have ever bought lentils
I have sorted through them and always find stray wheat grains among the
lentils. I think it's the similar size that makes it hard to sort out the
lentils from wheat. I always sort carefully and rinse well. I'd be careful
of commercially processed lentil products for that reason. I would expect
some cross contamination there.

--

Carolyn