From:
LINDA KIRLIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:35:51 -0400

What a wonderful group of people you are! Your anecdotes made me laugh
and cry as I read through the different ways we have all faced
challenges.  Your insight was so helpful. Basically, accepting celiac is
like accepting any other serious illness, and we go through the stages
until we reach acceptance (denial, grief, anger......). As many of you
point out, there is always someone who is worse off than we are. Many of
you have become master cooks, while some are still discovering which GF
foods are similar and/or palatable. We have learned to bring our own
food most places (some of us hide it in the strangest places......!).
Many of you suggested reading "Against the Grain," by Jax Lowell. My
bookstore is holding the last copy for me today!!! Some of you have
sought counseling and therapists who have been very insightful and
helpful; others have used anti-depressants. Many have found one or two
close friends who truly try to understand, yet don't make you feel like
you're imposing when food is concerned. All in all, we're realizing what
a food-centered society this is. And, we're all thankful to have a
support group like the list to reach out to. Many people have joined
support groups. If they don't have local support groups, many go to chat
rooms and forums to share with other celiacs. All in all, it takes about
a year or so, people have shared, to become comfortable with all of the
acceptable and unacceptable foods.  Thanks again, from a relatively new
celiac, for your encouragement and candor. I have learned from you, and
look forward to staying in touch again.

Happy Eating to all!