From:
Pam McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:35:42 -0500

Hi All,
I've been completely GF and on a very strict whole food diet(almost the
Specific Carb diet) for 10 months. I had emergency gall bladder surgery 18
months ago. I was VERY sick with gall bladder disease for about 10 months
before surgery. I recently had an endoscopy for severe GERD and asked the
gastro doc to biopsy for celiac but it came out negative. Last April I had a
malapsorbtion stool test at Enterolabs that also came out negative.  I just
found out from Dr. Fine, however, that my very low fat diet (literally no
added oil and only fish and poultry) and use of digestive enzymes could have
thrown off the test (yes, it would have been nice to know this before I had
the test....)  Anyway, I tested positive for gluten intolerance but am very
confused about the repeated negative c
eliac diagnosis (also had negative
blood tests--but after 3 months gluten-free which I understand is normal).

What confuses me are the following: that I seem to have had a classic case
of triggered celiac as I had little to no symptoms until I became quite ill
with gall bladder disease. I had uncontrollable weight loss up until last
April. Once gluten symptoms were triggered, my stool had a severely awful
odor that remained the same no matter what I ate. That odor still exists,
but is not nearly as strong.  I know these are classic symptoms of celiac
disease and damage.  Why then, do I keep testing negative?  Should I have
another stool test, this time with more fat in my diet and no digestive
enzymes?  Or is it too late--have I healed too much or been gluten-free too
long?  Has anyone had experience with this?  Thanks, I'll summarize
Pam