From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:53:14 -0700

I did not receive any replies to my inquiry on the listserv about dining (gluten-free) in Curacao.

We recentely vacationed on the island and stayed at Breezes all inclusive resort.  We were able to piece together gluten-free meals, but did bring a small carry-on size bag of GF non-parishables.  While the staff tried to be accommodating, there was sometimes a combination of a language barrier and their inherent desire to provide good customer service that they didn't always understand what it mean to be gluten-free.  For example, one of the chefs knew that GF meant "no wheat," but didn't seem to have a clue that teriyaki sauce was probably not safe.   There were also cross-contamination issues at times.   It was also not really possible to read labels on most items.   They do a buffet style setup for most meals and also have three on-site restaurants.  The Italian restaurant was not able to provide GF pasta or breads and the Japanese restaurant used wheat containing soy sauce.  (I was able to read that on a label).  The other place was a
 simple burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and french fries area of one of the bars on the beach.  The burgers were 100% pure beef (so were fine without a bun), but it was also not clear if the FF were cross contaminated with the nuggets.  I was also not able to make any determination on the hot dogs.  When trying to find out the brand or the ingredients, all I could get was "they are hot dogs."  We typically are laid back while being smart and informed at the same time, so I wasn't going to waste precious snorkeling time and spend 45 minutes of checking a hot dog.  So, we did the best we could during the vacation.  However, it was very beneficial that I had brought the small suitcase with GF items.

For breaksfast, omelettes made to order were available along with bacon. We went with that option most mornings, and used a GF cereal that I had brought along.   There were no GF cereals and there were plenty of glutenous pancake and bread items.  There were usually a good selection of fresh island fruits, so that was good, too.   Our room was supposed to have a microwave, fridge and coffeepot, but ended up not having the microwave.  So, I used the coffeepot to boil water a few times for things and it was nice to have the fridge.  We also had GF fresh fish several times, so that was good, too.

I tried contacting the resort numerous times in advance of the trip, but could never speak to anyone who could provide help.

Overall, it was fun, but comes nowhere close to the GF accommodations some of the other places/resorts like Disney can provide.

Melonie
(in Virginia)