Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:28:45 -0700

Okay, you've convinced me. Today marks the end of my relationship with
Frito Lay! Many you react to this suposedly gluten-free food and a few
of you provided factual information that explains all these adverse
reactions. Of course, a few of you lucky ones are unaffected and consume
Fritos without problem.

Here's your responses. I've listed quite a few so as to emphasize each
perspective.

A bit redundant, but I think this list will confirm the fact that
reactions vary and each is equally justified.

-My gut tells me there's contamination there.

Don't care what Frito Lay says as my body tells me differently.  My
advice is to stay away from them.

-I'm not very sensitive and have mild reaction when eating
Fritolay.  I dont anymore.

-I bought a bag of frito lay pork rinds (I do adkins diet and that is
one of the few allowed snacks) and there was a barbequed porkrind in the
bag of plain ones. <sigh>  I also stay away from anything that is
seasoned or salted as they use the same bins (wrong word, but I don't
know what they call them) to toss them around to season them.

- ... abigail newman's site. She is really particular about cross-
contamination issues and she also maintains a list of GF foods/products.
Needless to say no Frito lay products are on her list.

-I can not eat ANY chips by frito lay whatsoever- potato chips as well
... abi's site even posts that although some frito lay products are gf,
they are not made on their own product line and share with gluten products.

-I have a list here from Frito Lay ...  Seems most of their food is
listed as GF, but here's your kicker....

The last paragraph of the letter states that their products "do not
contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our
products that do contain gluten.  Although the lines are washed between
batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines and individuals who
are extremely sensitive may be affected."

-Almost everyone steers clear of Fritos. Lays potato chips are another
no no; the gluten free casein free web site says they are produced on
dedicated lines but this is wrong. I called Lays and they said they do
not produce any of their chips, plain or flavored, on dedicated lines.

-I checked into that very issue last year when my daughter was suddenly
ill several times and the only possible culprit was the Fritos. Abigail
Newman told me they have cross-contamination problems -- to the degree
that people have found Funyans in their potato chips.

-I went to their web site.  They specifically stated that they may have
contamination problems.

-We eat Frito-Lay products from their GF list without a problem with the
exception of Fritos. I suspect the problem is with the cornmeal prior to
Frito-Lay at the cornmeal manufacturer

-I don't know about cross-contamination but I know Fritos always gave me

diarrhea when I ate to many even before celiac disease. I think the corn
and high fat content did it.

-I think there's always a risk of cross contamination, but what is
probably bothering you is the fat.

-They're listed as GF, and most of us  don't have any problem with them
unless we eat too much :) They will make me sick to my stomach if I eat
too much because of the grease and the salt. Not good for us.

****Ironically, the fat content is good for me.  I have a digestive
disorder that requires a fairly high amount of fat in my diet.  I have
a hard time with fiberous or starchy foods (corn, salad, potatoes..)
unless I eat them with oil or salad dressing.

-They've never made me sick.  But I'm not a true Celiac either.

-I eat Fritos with no problems.

- Actually, Fritos Scoops are one of the few things that don't bother me
and I have always felt fairly 'safe' with.

Thanks for your help,
Megan
Seattle