From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:46:30 -0500

As I understand it,  "instant" powdered has been treated so that it will
mix better (without the horrendous lumps you can get with not instant).

There is an easy effective way to mix non-instant powdered milk without
lumps and without needeing a blender  (at least it works with non-instant
powdered GOAT's milk):       FIRST add the measured powdered milk into a
contain with a tight fitting lid.   Next dump in a measured amount of water
(all at once, very rapidly) and IMMEDIATELY put on the lid and shake
VIGOROUSLY for at least a minute.    If you are careful to put the power in
FIRST,  and dump the water in and get to shaking as fast as possible you
will have no lumps.       (I developed this method so I could use powdered
milk to make "sleeping bag"*1 yoghurt while camping.)

If you put the powder into the water it will float and form lumps.
The key is to dump and shake without pause.

Non-instant powdered milk means not having to worry about what they do/add
to it to make it instant.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC

*1  so called because you just take the container into the bag with you
(the water must be about body temperaure when mixing - and of course must
have been previosly boiled!).   When you wake up, viola! Fresh yoghurt for
breakfast.