From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 18:21:56 -0400

A while ago I asked the list if any of them had been able to tolerate
lactose after being diagnosed lactose intolerant.  Several posters said
that they could tolerate hard cheese.  Some suggested Lactaid tablets with
the cheese.  One said that the CSA book states that hard cheeses contain
very little lactose, if any.  One said that Kraft states that almost all of
their cheeses contain 0 grams of lactose per serving:Cracker Barrel, finely
shredded cheddar, mozzerella, colby, Monteray Jack and Smartbeat amd
Lactaid Amer. cheese slices are okay. One said that her son's lactose
intol. went away.  One not bothered by cream cheese, takes Lactaid pills to
eat sour cream.  One suggested to talk to someone at Schiff (?), uses
clarified butter, wouldn't eat dairy, as is allergic to all components. One
uses Dairy Ease pills, says that Lactaid pills are not GF.  Warns that
cheese can be non GF due to flavorings and colorings.  One says to try
Ultra Lactaid, get Dairy Free Cookbook by Jane Xukin.  One cannot tolerate
Kraft cheese.  One claims that lactose intolerance does not go away.  It is
lack of enzyme enabling lactose digestion.  Try getting Dr. Cocoa's Pulse
Test for Allergies; try goat's milk cheese; says milk products not healthy,
too high in sodium and high allergy quotient.One limits intake of cheese to
once a week.  One says try sheep's milk feta, small amount Edam or
Rouquerfort authentically made with only sheep's milk, takes Lactiad
tablets with parmesan or  romano.  One eats aged Swiss with 4 or 5 Dairy
Ease pills, but still feels effects.  One had no problem with cheese in
France that was not pasturized.

I was diagnosed a year ago and am still afraid to try cheese, because I
have been having irritable bowel and other problems, so I don't think I'll
take the chance right away.  I know quite a few people who are non CD that
have lactose intolerance.  Most of them tell me that they have used Lactaid
pills for a while and after a while, they don't help them anymore. It
seems, that,unfortunatley when we get older, this happens to a lot of us
anyway.
Karen from Central NY, USA